Sunday, April 18, 2010

Bottlebrush tree


In October 2007, my mother gave me a birthday present/early Christmas present of a Bottlebrush tree (Callistemon Viminalis in its 'weeping' form). I can't believe how much that small shrub has grown in 2 1/2 years! I keep pruning it up from the bottom to shape it into a tree and it's looking fabulous!


There was so much I had to re-learn about gardening when I moved to the beach. Many plants are not salt or wind tolerant. But, as you can see, Bottlebrush trees are very happy in this environment. They also attract butterflies and hummingbirds.

2 comments:

Tina Sutton- Missgingerdots said...

I love your blog. This weekend I am going hunting for a Bottlebrush tree for my yard. Love it!

Barrier Island Girl said...

My mother bought mine for my birthday in 2007. We got it at The Garden Gate which is located in Gulf Breeze. Coming from Navarre it is west of WalMart a couple of miles, on the opposite side. It is just west of McDonald's actually. The Garden Gate is a great place to browse for plants, herbs, containers, and even some books.

Good luck. I think you'll really like having a bottlebrush in your yard.